I recently spent 5 days in Orlando attending the John Maxwell Group Training. This was my second event and I can say it did not disappoint. MY only problem seems to be how do I capture all of the incredible information that comes out. I
I decided to take some of my notes and attempt to create a bullet point list. Hopefully these will means something to you. I have divided the points by subject matter to help you.
I will be writing more in-depth on the subjects in the future.
- The more you know, the more you don’t know
- Malcom Gladpoint, “the tipping point”, law of the few. Find the right few to invest your time and effort in, the payoff will be huge and very regarding.
- Being a leader means you continue to learn and that flows through you.
- WE ARE A RIVER….NOT A RESERVOIR
- Mentor is both a verb and a noun;
- V – people of action
- N – who you are
- Mentorship is defined as a transfer of wisdom extracted from experience and knowledge.
- Mentor – must ask 2 questions
- What am I learning?
- Can I pass it along?
- It is best to learn and pass the information on quickly. Mentoring is a constant process
- Passing information and learning on is underlining your experience, it is a fresh perspective and sense of learning and knowledge.
- FRESH carries a PASSION!!! However, passion dies over time, unless it is consistently fed.
- Everything you learn, receive and acknowledge is not yours, you are simply a manager of information and must pass it on to others.
- Mentoring is a relationship, NOT A TITLE!
- Mentoring is not a friendship, but rather a relationship. It is a two way street , side-by-side.
- Mentoring is empowerment. Relationships breakdown when only one person is carrying the load.
- THE BEST LEADERS EQUIP AND TRAIN OTHERS!!
- Most people, 80% don’t meet expectations. 20% consistently exceed expectations
- Disappointment is the gap between expectations and reality
- the only person that can raise the standard of expectation is you
- If you want to be average, than do something else, don’t let the door hit you on the way out.
- life is not complicated, we’ve made life complicated.
- I’m tired of giving everyone trophies, for losing every game. We need to give our kids a reason to want to be better.
- Always expect the best out of yourself and others
- Don’t do anything average. There’s nothing exciting about being average
- life is not complicated, if you pay the price, it’s gets complicated for lazy people
- Always ask, “What else can I do to exceed their expectations”
- Expect more of yourself than others expect of me
- Don’t short change people
- If you find a better way, change immediately
- Don’t use relationships to cover my shortcomings or my issues
- I exceed expectations because I ask for feedback all the time.
- I only travel the high road with others. I am going to treat you better than you treat me.
- Never take advantage of a person even if you can
- Don’t shortcut people. Always give your best.
- Refuse to live off of your past.
- Yesterday ended last night. Give it up!
Hope these help provoke a thought or two with you!