We all need time away from work and our daily activities. Every good leader takes a vacation or holiday. I personally make sure use all of my annual allotted time. The stress and activity level is high. The down time allows me to gather my thoughts and replenish my energy.
Recently, I spent a week on the beach in Destin, FL. During this time, I wrote down six things I wanted to make sure I accomplish that week. I knew this would ensure I was able to return to my job in the best mental and physical condition.
I call these the 6 R’s of Leadership While on Vacation/Holiday. Here they are;
- REST – This is what you came to do. Make sure you get plenty. Rest can look like many things; sports, sightseeing, hiking, etc. Whatever it is, just make sure you get plenty of it.
- Refresh – Take time to meditate and let your troubles go.
- Renew – Renew and rebuild your relationships with your family, most importantly your spouse or significant other.
- Recharge – Regain your strength, motivation and desire to connecting, building relationships and influence.
- Relax – Chill out, your on vacation!!! Leave the phone and laptop in the room, or vehicle. Dutch things that make you happy. Laugh a lot!
- Recalibrate – Spend time thinking about what you need to personal change or do to be a stronger, better leader when you get back.
Try it next time you take some time off, I think you will see a huge difference in attitude and mindset when you
Thanks and Take Care